Homer Man Leads Troopers on High Speed Chase

Oct 7, 2016

Credit Image courtesy of Alaska State Troopers

On Thursday afternoon, a Homer resident led local law enforcement on a high speed chase from Anchor Point to Homer.

According to an Alaska State Trooper dispatch, Anchor Point Troopers received a report just after 3 p.m. Thursday of a reckless driver on Sterling Highway near mile 171. Troopers located the vehicle, a red Chevrolet Lumina, and attempted a traffic stop.

The driver, 30-year-old Paul Suter of Homer, led police on a brief car chase before crashing into a ditch. Suter then fled into the woods on foot at mile 158, near Sabea Circle.

Soon afterwards, troopers received a report of a white Dodge truck that was stolen near where Suter had disappeared into the woods. The stolen truck, driven by Suter, was then seen traveling towards Homer. Suter led troopers on another car chase, during which he nearly hit two people.

Megan Peters is a spokesperson for the Alaska State Troopers. She says that Suter came close to hitting at least one pedestrian during the car chase.

“There were two assault charges that were placed against Mr. Suter during his attempt to flee us. One of them was out walking their dog at the time that they said they were almost hit. The other one, I’m not sure if they were walking or driving in a vehicle,” Peters.

The car chase ended in the Homer Boatyard, said Peters.

“He had driven a stolen vehicle into the area and then crashed into a conex. He tried to flee on foot again, but was taken into custody. He had sustained a minor head injury during the whole ordeal, so he was taken to the hospital before he was taken to jail,” said Peters.

Troopers determined that Suter was driving while intoxicated. He also had a revoked driver's license for a prior Felony DUI conviction.

Suter was taken to Homer Jail, where he was charged with two counts of failing to stop in the first-degree, felony DUI, assault in the third-degree and reckless driving.  He was also charged with vehicle theft in the first-degree and resisting arrest. 

Suter was arraigned today at the Homer Courthouse. 

Anchor Point Troopers are asking anyone who was endangered during the car chase to contact them at 235-8239.  

Editor's Note: An earlier version of this story incorrectly stated the day of the high speed chase. The incident happened on Thursday, October 6.