KBBI is the number one listened to station in the greater Homer and Anchor Point areas, with a weekly listenership of 5,710 between M-F 6am-7pm for ages 12 and up. With 54.4 % of the total community listening to KBBI, your message is heard. These ratings are more than double of any other station in the area. (Statistics provided from an independent surveyor Eastlan Ratings, Fall 2010).
Underwriting is an opportunity for organizations and businesses to actively and publicly lend financial support to KBBI before a well-traveled and well-educated audience. No other media source reaches homes and businesses throughout our broadcast region, covering much of the Kenai Peninsula from as far south as Kodiak Island and as far north as Kasilof. Because KBBI is an AM station, it reaches locations FM stations cannot.
- There is a $100 minimum buy for one message to be produced.
- The length of message is 15 seconds, voiced by KBBI staff only, and cannot include music or any other background sound. This supports consistency and makes messages easy to understand by our listeners.
- Special event underwriting receives a complimentary post on KBBI’s facebook page (over 1,100 fans). Your message with your website link is posted, date/time determined by KBBI.
- In order for us to be able to get your message produced and into our system, we need your approved copy at least five days prior to your preferred air date.
- If you are interested in airing messages on KDLL’s 91.9 FM station, we can create that contract as well.
- Nonprofits: inquiry about nonprofit discounts and EPSAs.
- Soon we can provide a direct link to your business on our Current Underwriters list on our website.
- Acknowledgment of support will be posted once on KBBI’s facebook (over 1,100 fans) with a link to your website.
- Advance payments for annual contracts receive a 10% discount.
- Annual contract messages can be changed quarterly. There’s a $25 fee to produce additional messages.
- Inquire about our new package plans offering discounts for certain annual contracts, which ranges in savings from $80-$400.
Clear guidelines make for a good message. A combination of Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and KBBI guidelines ensure that the message brought forth is clear, concise, and free of commercial clutter.
FCC mandates that underwriting announcements many not include the following:
- Calls to Action (words such as "call", "stop by", “invite”, “join”, “come” or phrases prompting action)
- References to price (i.e., actual price, "free", "on sale", etc.)
- Superlatives (i.e., "best", "greatest", "most reliable", “more”, etc.) or other qualitative descriptors
- Inducements to buy, rent, sell, or lease (i.e., “discounts”, “complementary”, mention of dollar amounts)
- Comparative language (i.e., award-winning, board-certified, top rated etc.)
- Adjectives (cozy, stellar, lovely, happy)
- The number of products/services cannot exceed four items.
- Other than accepted slogans, pronoun words such as "you," "your," "our," and "we" are not permitted. It suggests a personal statement on the part of KBBI and is therefore not acceptable.
The purpose of the underwriting message is to publicly acknowledge our underwriters and provide a brief description of location, services/products, as well as telephone numbers and website information. Rates and programs are subject to change.
When you invest in KBBI, you take an active role in furthering the success of one of Homer’s respected institutions. In turn, the reputation of KBBI and public broadcasting sets your message apart and enhances your visibility with an audience that expects quality programming and services.
- Increase Your Visibility and Brand. Underwriting provides you with a high profile among KBBI’s loyal, engaged, and well-informed audience.
- Effective Communication. Your message will be heard in an uncluttered media environment. Public radio listeners appreciate the non-commercial language and are less likely to tune out than commercial radio audiences.
- Strengthen your image. Demonstrate your association with and support of KBBI’s commitment to the community, education, and public service. 80% of listeners agree that their opinion of a company is more positive when they discover it supports public radio.
- Improve Your Bottom Line. Underwriting is a smart, cost-efficient, and effective use of marketing and public relations dollars. Your underwriting dollars are tax-deductible as permitted by law for 501(c)3 nonprofit organizations.
For more information contact KBBI’s Development Office
at 235-7721 x 224 or email@example.com