Injured HEA Lineman Returns Home
A Homer Electric Association utility worker has been released from a Seattle hospital after getting injured earlier this month. Thirty-three-year-old Jacob Adams was doing work on a high-voltage junction box at the time of the accident.
Adams was medevac’d to Seattle January 8th. He was in the burn unit of Harborview Medical Center for four days before being released into outpatient care. HEA Spokesperson Joe Gallagher says Adams was able to return to Alaska on Friday and is expected to return to Seattle in two weeks for a follow-up. Adams has worked for HEA for 12 years.
Alaska State Troopers received a call from HEA the afternoon of the 8th asking for a welfare check on a crew working near Homer. The caller said they had received a radio call from a crew reporting a possible electric shock. Trooper says Adam’s co-workers performed lifesaving medical care. When Troopers and Kachemak Emergency Services arrived on the scene Adams was conscious and alert, but sustained significant injuries. He was initially taken to South Peninsula Hospital where he was stabilized then transported out of the state.
Gallagher says the crew was performing maintenance on a piece of electric equipment off Diamond Ridge Road at the time of the accident. There is an investigation into the incident, so Gallagher says he is not able to talk about it specifically. But he says the crew followed emergency protocol during the accident and told the Homer News “safety is the number-one priority within the company. We work very hard to instill a culture of safety.”